Location: Lynn, MA
Job ID: 152777-1A
Date Posted: Mar 1, 2019
Lahey Health is a vibrant and growing health care system, recognized as a trailblazer in medicine and a standard bearer in patient experience. It includes an award-winning academic medical center, a superb constellation of community hospitals, home care services, rehabilitation facilities and more.
We are committed to attracting, developing and retaining top talent in a market long recognized and revered as a global leader in health. With a team approach to care, we encourage learning and growth at all levels, and we offer competitive salaries and benefits. We adhere to the principles of a just and fair work environment for all colleagues, where respect is foundational and performance is rewarded.
About the Job
Assumes responsibility for providing skilled, creative, high quality nursing care to patients by assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating patient care on a 24 hour basis from admission to discharge. Collaborates with other nursing staff and other allied disciplines to ensure that a safe and therapeutic environment is maintained for all patients. Is accountable for directing and supervising the care provided by the Mental Health Counselors. Assumes responsibility for utilizing financial, human and material resources in an efficient manner.
Essential Functions/Key Responsibilities:
1. Is expected to support the hospital in such a manner that there is a strong and positive commitment to quality patient care.
2. Serve as a preceptor for new employees and educate staff, as needed.
3. Utilize supervision in a positive and thoughtful manner to enhance professional improvement and development.
4. Attend clinical meetings that will have a positive impact on patient care.
5. Maintain solid understanding of hospital policies and protocols, practices within those policies and protocols, and enforces such when appropriate.
6. Participate in any ongoing quality improvement studies that will have positive patient care outcomes.
7. Maintain understanding of and follow regulatory agencies’ expectations and guidelines (i.e. DMH, DPH, JCAHO, payors, etc.).
8. Assess, plan and implement care on all observed symptoms, reactions, treatments, and changes in the patient’s status. Report and record any findings to the MD and charge nurse.
9. Perform the role of medical nurse when assigned, assist the consulting internist and Nurse Practitioner with exams and perform treatments, tests and procedures as ordered.
10. Monitor the patient milieu for safety issues and assist with promoting a positive therapeutic environment.
11. Respond to patient care needs and issues, assist patients with personal hygiene and other activities of daily living. Collaborate with and direct other nursing staff to assist with any patient nursing needs.
12. Admit, discharge and transfer patients to and from department/unit ensuring that patient safety is addressed and monitor patient valuables during belongings search.
13. Participate in treatment team meetings and develop plans of care.
14. Administer medications to assigned patients and monitor effectiveness.
15. Maintain yearly/biyearly requirements of CPR and Aggression Management.
16. Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s in nursing preferred from an accredited school of nursing with current professional license registration in Massachusetts.
Exhibits ability to be competent in the following areas:
1. Psychotropic medication administration and monitoring
2. Drug and alcohol withdrawal
3. De-escalation/Restraint Management
Demonstrates leadership qualities with adaptive abilities and strong interpersonal relations skills. Possess management skills and the ability to effectively supervise employees. Ability to use sound administrative practices. Work cooperatively and effectively with others and ability to adapt to changes in the workplace.
Must be fluent in English (verbal and written).
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.